Speaker Selection Process
The rolling list of speaker suggestions is linked below. The list is collected, duplicates removed and periodically updated on this page.
The Syracuse University Commencement speaker is chosen through an annual selection process that starts when students, staff, faculty, alumni, and others in the community offer speaker suggestions through this website. The speaker selection process begins more than one year in advance of Commencement. The chosen speaker joins a long list of distinguished past Commencement speakers who have shared their thoughts, perspectives, and wisdom with SU graduates.Student Committee
All names submitted through the website are compiled in an alphabetical, unranked list and given to the official speaker selection committee composed of
- senior class marshals (two seniors who represent the entire graduating class at commencement and who chair the committee);
- student marshals from each of the University’s schools and colleges who represent their classmates;
This all-student committee reviews the list of names collected from this website, suspeaker.syr.edu. Following their deliberations, the committee presents a list of proposed speakers to the Chancellor, who then reviews the list and makes a final choice on the basis of relevance to the SU community, availability, and reasonableness of cost.
All nominees for Commencement speaker must be eligible to receive an honorary degree from the University. A vote by the University Senate decides which nominations are forwarded to the Chancellor for consideration. The University Senate Committee on Honorary Degrees hosts a website detailing its process and criteria for selection.
A suggestion for Commencement speaker should be based on the following considerations:
- Outstanding achievement in an academic field, the arts, business, etc.
- Innovative and creative achievements
- Humanitarian deeds and the degree to which the candidate’s activities have touched various lives
- Extent to which candidate’s achievement represents sustained efforts over the course of his/her career
- Extent to which candidate represents an outstanding model for our graduates
- The honor brought to SU should the candidate accept the nomination
View the rolling Speaker Suggestion List as of 3-17-17.