The following information is for those attending Class of 2020 Reunion Weekend.
Learn more about Commencement 2020 event details and scheduling.
- Address and Parking
- Cap and Gown
- Required Check-in
- Stadium Access: Pre-event Testing and Expedited Entry
- Commencement Ceremony Details
- Safety Precautions
- Entry Procedures
- Face Masks Required
- Food and Beverage
- Exit Procedures
- Security Procedures
Address and Parking
The stadium is located at
900 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244
Parking is available in the University Avenue Garage (accessible)and the Comstock Garage (accessible).
Shuttles* will begin at 6:15 p.m. from the University Avenue Garage and the Comstock Garage to the Quad.
Parking is available in the University Avenue Garage (accessible)and the Comstock Garage (accessible)..
From 9:15 – 11:30 a.m., shuttles will run from the University Ave Garage and the Comstock Garage to the Schine Student Center. From 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m., shuttles will run from Schine to Stadium Gate A (accessible entrance) for football game attendees.
Post-game trolleys will run from Stadium Gate A to all garages.
Shuttle* Service concludes at 9 p.m.
Shuttles* will run from the following garages and lots to Gate A:
Raynor Ave Parking Lot (Accessible)
Henry Street Parking Lot (Accessible)
University Garage (Accessible)
University Ave South Lot (Accessible)
University Ave North Lot (Accessible)
Comstock Avenue Garage (Accessible)
Harrison Street Lot (Accessible)
View parking on the Campus Maps site.
* All shuttles are accessible and accommodate wheelchairs.
Cap and Gown
Regalia is the required attire to participate in Commencement. If you received a cap, gown, and tassel in 2020, please bring it with you. If you didn’t receive a cap, gown, and tassel, please stop by the lower level of the Campus Store during Commencement weekend and pick one up. Preordering is not necessary. You may call the Campus Store at 315.443.900 for assistance.
Additional information on caps and gowns, including store hours, can be found here.
Commencement Ceremony Details
The Stadium gates will open at 8 a.m. on Sunday, September 19. Commencement will begin promptly at 10 a.m. Graduates who arrive late may be held from taking seats on the turf until there is a break in the program.
Class of 2020 Seating
Graduates should enter the Stadium via gates A,B,C,E,F. Graduates must be seated no later than 9:15 a.m. Graduates ONLY will be seated on the turf. You may choose your own seat and who you wish to sit with. You will have the best seat selection the earlier you arrive!
All guests are seated in the lower section of the Stadium. Seating is first-come, first-seated. You may enter at via gates A,B,C,E,F; gates open at 8 a.m.
In addition to the COVID-19 protocols above, the Stadium has a clear bag policy and uses metal detectors at all entrances for the safety of all guests. Read specific entrance protocols.
The Commencement ceremony is typically two hours long.
The livestream will begin at 10 a.m. on Sunday morning.
Reunion Events- Required Check-In
All members of the Class of 2020 and your guests are required to check in for the weekend. We strongly suggest checking in on Friday evening if your schedules allow. A photo ID will be required.
During check-in on Friday, each guest 21 and over will receive two drink tickets for use during Friday evening’s “Welcome Home” reception. A cash-only bar will be available on Saturday morning, along with grab and go breakfast refreshments.
Check-in times are as follows:
- Friday, September 17 from 4 to 6 p.m. in front of HBC facing the Quad (this is the best time to check in!)
- Friday, September 17 starting at 6:30 p.m. during the “Welcome Home” reception on the Quad (in front of HBC or in front of the Physics Building)
- Saturday, September 18 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Schine Student Center, entering either via the Einhorn Family Walk or via Waverly into the Schine Underground
- Saturday, September 18 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center (note: this is intended to be a quieter event location for those seeking an experience away from the larger gathering in Schine)
Pre-event Testing and Expedited Entry
To make the entry experience into the stadium as seamless as possible, we will have pre-event compliance stations at the required check-in stations. At these stations, students, faculty, staff and guests can have their COVID-compliance documents verified in advance of the weekend’s Commencement activities. Once verified, individuals will receive a unique pass that will significantly expedite and ease entry into the stadium.
This wristband will be key to you entering the Stadium for both the football game and Commencement. More details on Stadium entry policies are below.
Compliant Entry Requirements
To enter the Stadium, all attendees (graduates, alumni, students, faculty, staff, families and guests) must comply with ONE of the following options. You can complete items 1 & 2 during reunion check-in!
- Provide proof of completed vaccination; specifically, the individual must provide documentation indicating that at least 14 days have passed since the individual received the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, or at least 14 days have passed since the individual received a single dose of Johnson & Johnson/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. We strongly encourage guests to seek out vaccination as it is the most reliable pathway for entry into the Stadium.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR-type test, administered within 72 hours of the event start time. Testing is at the responsibility of each guest.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen-type test, administered within six hours of the event start time. Testing is at the responsibility of each guest.
- Children ages 5 to 11 are required to: provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR-type test, administered within 72 hours of the event start time, at a pre-screening location; or a negative COVID-19 antigen-type test, administered within six hours of the event start time, at a pre-screening location.
- Children ages 4 and under do not require a vaccination or a test result to enter the stadium.
Pre-screening will take place at check-in on Friday and Saturday. If you are not here on Friday or Saturday, a pre-screening compliance station will be available on the Quad on Sunday between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m.
Note: masks are currently required of all students, staff, faculty and visitors (vaccinated and unvaccinated) indoors at all times and outdoors when in the presence of others.
- Do not attempt to enter the stadium if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, have been in close contact with someone that may have been exposed, or have a temperature exceeding 100.4° F.
- Stadium staff will not accept or provide a holding area for prohibited items. Please visit the stadium guest services page for more information on prohibited items.
- Bags larger than 10″x10″ will not be permitted in the stadium.
- Wear your face mask, completely covering your mouth and nose, at all times on campus and in the stadium.
- Hand sanitizer, wipes and hand-wash stations are available on the concourse levels. Dedicated sanitizing staff are assigned to monitor and treat frequently touched surfaces
- Once outside the stadium, continue to wear a face mask and physically distance until you have arrived back at your vehicle or off-campus destination.
Face Masks Required
- Syracuse University requires face masks or face coverings for all students, faculty, staff and visitors while on campus, in the presence of others, in public settings, indoors and outdoors. Bandanas are not an approved face mask.
- Face masks must be worn at all times inside the stadium unless actively drinking at your assigned seating location. Failure to wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth, are grounds for removal from the stadium.
Food and Beverage
- Concession stands on the south side of the stadium will be open for the purchase of food and beverage.
- Guests are permitted to bring a sealed bottle of water into the stadium; all other food and beverage is prohibited.
- To prevent the spread of COVID-19, all water fountains have been turned off.
- Plan in advance for a meet-up location for graduates and guests outside and away from the stadium gates to avoid heavy congregation.
As a condition of your attendance, all members of your party affirm and agree to abide by all Syracuse University and New York State screening and health protocols. All members of your party additionally affirm that you do not have any current or recent COVID-19 symptoms (e.g., temperature more than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit), have not had close or proximate contact with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case(s), have not had recent positive COVID-19 test result(s), and are in compliance with the State’s travel advisory.
As part of an ongoing effort to ensure a safe and enjoyable event, all guests and degree candidates will go through security screening, including metal detection, prior to entering all venues. Please allow additional time for security screening to avoid delay.
As in past years, large bags, backpacks, duffel bags and large shopping bags will not be allowed and degree candidates and all guests may not bring bags larger than 10″ x 10″ into Convocations or Commencement. All purses, binocular cases, and camera cases will be opened and inspected. There will not be a holding area for items at any venue.
As always, the following items are prohibited:
- Firearms, explosives, fireworks
- Air horns, backpacks, balls, balloons, banners, beach balls, coolers, confetti, containers, large purses, duffel bags, laser pointers, noise makers, inflatables, promotional items, shopping bags, large signs
- Food and beverages may not be brought into ceremony venues, except if for medical reasons or for infants
Service dogs are the only animals permitted inside Commencement venues.